But that look won't work when you are out mixing and mingling and networking for your business. You can wear jeans most of the time, but you need to kick it up a notch.
So what's a mom to do?
It never fails, when there's a blogger or social media event coming up, I tweet out "what's everyone wearing?". . .it helps me pick something for myself if I get a "feel" for what others are wearing. If everyone tweets back jeans - I know my dark denim are a go. If I see some dress or skirt replies. . .I'll probably kick up my own look a little. Because trust me, you don't want to meet with a potential client and look like you just rolled out of bed or out of the garden.
Let's take some mixing and mingling outfit options:
#1 - Jeans
- make the denim dark and the style modern
- a dressy t-shirt may be fine
- dress them up with a cardi or jacket if you only have plain Ts
- try a bright scarf
- add jewelry
- don't underestimate the power of a good shoe (leave the sneakers for your workout)
#2 - Skirt
- denim is fine - it looks great with boots or a wedge heel
- a print skirt paired with a plain sweater or t will get you a lot of mileage
- not a mini - save those for date night please
- again consider scarves, jewelry, etc
Still struggling for ideas and on a budget? Do you have a stylish friend? She would be FLATTERED if you asked her to come over and help you shop your closet. Sometimes all it takes is looking at what you have in a new light.
Personally, I lean towards classic pieces in classic cuts. Which means I fall into a rut a LOT and have to get creative with what I have. Remember that your goal is to look pulled together and competent, even if you feel like a hot mess on the inside.
What do you do when you need to perk up your look? Check out All Things Chic for more ideas and inspiration everyday.
catch you soon -